Thursday, February 11, 2010

A..........pplesauce

One of my fellow Etsy Bloggers, Mystic Wynd, inspired me to create in a non-crafting way and blog about it today. You can find her shop at http://mysticwynd.etsy.com/ She is doing a series about our five senses and her post today was about smells. So off to the kitchen I went for some McIntosh apples, a paring knife, cutting board and our slow cooker. In about 20 minutes I had the apples pared, cored and chopped and into the water. After draining the apples, I added 1/4 cup of sugar (which for those of you with greater will power could omit), some cinnamon and 1/4 cup of water.

Then the slow cooking, (on low) began. Within a couple of hours, the most fabulous smell was emanating throughout the house, bringing back so many memories of my mom's and grandma's kitchens. After a couple more hours and a stirring or two, it was ready to make a great warm dessert for dinner.

Why not try some yourself? You won't be disappointed! It doesn't take long, and it's s.........ooo much better than store bought applesauce! Other types of apples, especially baking apples, work well too. This makes 4-6 servings and really doesn't take that much time to make. It's heart healthy as well...especially if you add very little or no sugar.

In the first picture, you might have noticed in the upper portion a small part of our wonderful lazy susan. This is from another wonderful Etsy shop: http://woodmosaics.etsy.com/ If you're in the market for one, you can't go wrong with Robin's intricate work!

5 comments:

Erika said...

I remember the first time I made applesauce. My brother came over to "test" and he ended up eating it all! (He took what ever he could home).

storybeader said...

sounds like a delicious idea. I'll have to talk to DH about this... I'm thinking we have a slow cooker somewhere, but maybe not! And that wooden lazy susan is beautiful!

Memories for Life said...

Mmmmm...I can smell it just reading about it!
And it sounds so easy!

Splendid Little Stars said...

I love MacIntosh apples! They make the best apple pie and apple sauce. I usually make apple sauce once or twice in fall/winter. I don't add sugar, but sometimes add cinnamon or rarely, grated cheddar cheese to my bowl of warm sauce. mmmmmmm!

OLLIE MCKAY'S ~ A Chic Boutique said...

Yummy! We love our crock pot and use it much more in the winter! I have my teapot going alot during the winter - filled with water and cinnamon, cloves, etc - it makes the whole house smell wonderful too!