Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Diamonds are forever...

...at least according to James Bond!  As we can look forward to April, the month of diamonds, I thought I'd share a different kind of diamond with you:  the diamond stitch.  Not long ago, a bride contacted me to commission a pine needle basket which will carry the Stefana (Greek wedding crowns) at her approaching wedding.  After some research, I found that the number three is important in many Greek ceremonies, including a wedding.  The center of the basket begins with two walnut slices tightly joined to symbolize the bride and groom.  Then three circles of stitches surround them, two in chain stitches and the center in the diamond stitch so that the sparkle of their love will always be chained together. 

After she received the basket, she was gracious enough to send a photo of the basket with the stefana inside.  These stefana are especially precious to her as they were worn by her parents as well.  I've included her picture as well as one of the basket before it was mailed.   I'm thrilled that she is so pleased!

3 comments:

Shirley said...

Your basket is so neat. It probably makes you really feel honored when you are a part of a special day. I know when one of my baby quilts getting chosen for a new little one. It makes me feel very honored. Have a great day. A Missouri Friend.

Anitra Cameron said...

Wow. I love it. It adds so much to life, knowing the things you use and have around you have meaning, in this case, woven into their very being. Thanks for sharing this with us.

SarahBeth said...

Your basket is beautiful! I love the idea of the walnuts. How lovely that it was part of such a special wedding! I'll bet the bride will save it to hand down to her daughter!

And thanks for your comment on my blog about the Bradford Pear!